The Finance Officer ensures that accounting processes and systems are running effectively and efficiently to enable programme staff and other stakeholders to implement the War Child Programme in Lebanon.
S/he is also responsible for the compliance with external donor financial and administrative requirements.
Position in the organisation
The Finance Officer is part of the Operations Support department reporting to the Finance Manager.
S/he does not manage staff.
- Enters accounting information into bookkeeping (SAGE), and cross check accurateness and completeness before submitting in a timely manner;
- Handles petty cash;
- Checks receipts and eligibility;
- Prepares Checks and transfers;
- Follows up closely on monthly cash and cheque advances;
- Ensures that all bookkeeping/financial documents of partners and War Child are compiled and organized according to international auditing standards;
- Builds the capacity of partners and staff;
- Holds monthly meetings with project admin officers or budget holders to check monthly expenditure allocations;
- Prepares monthly financial budget updates to be shared with budget holders;
- Checks and verifies that all payments are done in accordance with WCH Financial & procurement rules and regulations;
- Prepares monthly financial reports to HO and submits them to the Finance Manager;
- Monitors bank accounts and prepares monthly bank and cash reconciliations;
Result: Finances are handled in such matter that all financial documents are done according to international auditing standards
- Develops and maintains a filing system of partners;
- Keeps track and monitors advances of office and project advances;
- Performs administrative tasks (photocopies, buying stationeries, scanning/faxing documents);
- In the absence of the Finance Manager provides support to the WCH team and partners;
- Takes on any other relevant tasks to the area of responsibility as requested by the Finance Manager;
- Checks financial reports from partners and prepares reports to Head Office;
- Assists during Audits and follows up on findings;
- Any other task appointed by the line manager;
Result: Administrative tasks are handled in a timely and organised fashion.
Knowledge and Experience
Degree in Accounting or similar degree;
Experience in similar positions with an NGO for an EU- or UNICEF/UNHCR funded project is preferable (if possible SAGE package);
Preferably previous experience working with children/refuges/vulnerable populations;
Skills and Competencies
Strong computer skills, Microsoft office and especially Excel;
Fluency in Arabic and English;
Attentive to detail and cost-conscious;
Works well in small team;
“Commitment to the vision and goals of War Child Holland in Lebanon, including adherence to the Child Safety Policy, is essential”