The role of the Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Manager is to actively lead and support War Child Holland’s M&E practices by leading and coordinating the introduction, development and maintenance of processes, systems and tools.
The M&E Manager leads in the systematic collection of data, and promotes the effective use of M&E information and reports to make necessary changes in project implementation and inform programming and project design. The M&E Manager plays a key role in building the MEAL-related competencies of staff, partners and relevant actors in programs and projects.
Position within the organization
The M&E Manager is part of the M&E Unit and reports directly to the Senior Program Manager. They manage the staff responsible for monitoring, evaluating & knowledge management. They work closely with other staff including, Project Managers and Coordinators, Technical Specialists and with counterparts of other organizations through relevant networks. They provide leadership, guidance, recommendations and support to ensure that the M&E processes and systems meet the needs of programs and projects, managers, partners and targeted communities.
Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation standards, guidelines, methods and tools
- Develops M&E guidelines, methods and tools and designs data collection tools as and when required;
- Leads the development of M&E frameworks and provides guidance on all M&E aspects of projects;
- Leads on the design of M&E components in program and project proposals, ensuring adherence to sector and WCH standards for program quality and project M&E;
- Monitors project progress, provides insights & recommendations to Program/Project Managers, Coordinators, Technical Specialists and local partners to improve implementation based on M&E data;
- Provides guidance to Program staff and local partners on the use of M&E tools;
- Ensures that current War Child M&E data is shared with potential donors, key actors and stakeholders;
Internal & External Evaluations
- Designs internal/external evaluations as needed in compliance with evaluation guidelines, selecting appropriate approaches, methodologies and tools and engaging decision makers in the process;
- Formulates ToRs, design matrices and all guiding materials related to internal evaluations as needed. Produces agreed outputs related to internal evaluations, disseminates outputs and ensures utilization of recommendations for future programming;
- Leads and coaches relevant staff (direct reports, PMs and technical specialists) on the management of external evaluations and studies, including determining objectives and research questions, drafting ToRs, recruiting consultants, coordinating evaluation tasks, reviewing outputs, participating in validation and interpretation workshops, communication of results etc.;
- Ensures that all evaluation data is analyzed and interpreted to an appropriate standard and in a participatory fashion when appropriate, facilitates or participates in related workshops as needed;
- Ensures comprehensive communication of findings to communities, partners, internal and external stakeholders as well as the uptake and use of evaluations by all intended users.
Provides oversight and management of data and information systems
- Oversees the system and process in place for program teams to use the Management Information System (Rafiki) to support implementation progress reviews and reporting needs;
- Supports the processing, analysis and reporting of data based on the appropriate standards as needed;
- Develops and/or streamlines reporting templates that facilitate the acquisition, aggregation and flow of information in and between programs and projects, including via the use of software/technology;
- Supports the piloting of country-level database and manages its roll out while ensuring its alignment with parallel Management Information System (Rafiki) and other reporting requirements as needed.
Management and capacity building of staff
- Guides and builds the competencies and capacity of partner staff responsible for M&E & knowledge management;
- Supports efforts to build the competencies and capacity of local partner staff to ensure quality and timely M&E of programs and projects;
- Leads in the recruitment of competent M&E staff and relevant consultants when needed.
Internal and External Coordination
- Strengthens linkages with external stakeholders to enhance organizational learning;
- Routinely identifies and addresses shortfalls in M&E and knowledge management in collaboration with relevant departments, creates corrective action plans and follows up accordingly;
- Promotes information exchange and sharing within the M&E, Research and other Programs staff;
- Provides support to and coordinates between offices and programs in all aspects of country-relevant M&E and Knowledge Management;
- Participates in M&E and knowledge management-related working groups and maintains close working relationships with counterparts in other relevant International NGOs, local NGOs and associations;
- Represents WCH externally, in relevant platforms/networks focused on M&E and knowledge management of programs and projects;
- Participates in external training and workshops and shares relevant resources with the team.
Knowledge and Experience
- Relevant academic background (i.e. development, statistics, demography, social science)
- Knowledge of quantitative and qualitative M&E systems and tools;
- Minimum 2-4 years of active M&E experience in social development programming required;
- Proven ability to work productively with a variety of stakeholders to run participatory processes and meet tight deadlines with an emphasis on producing quality products;
- Proven experience and ability to manage, motivate and hold staff accountable for meeting or exceeding agreed standards of performance;
- Experience conducting interviews and focus group discussions with vulnerable persons as well as a variety of stakeholders.
- Experience in data analysis and assessments;
- Excellent computer skills, including experience with: Excel, PowerPoint, SPSS, Access, and any other statistical packages. Background in database management strongly preferred;
- Commitment to local competency and capacity building and the ability to engage local stakeholders in the project design and implementation;
- Experience in building skills and coaching others on M&E concepts, tools, processes and practice;
- Experience in adaptable management of teams with diverse functions.
- Strong analytical skills and able to quickly identify needs / gaps and work towards solutions;
- Fluency in spoken and written Arabic and English;
- Strong research and writing skills with the ability to produce high quality reports;
- Demonstrable organizational and project management skills and ability to manage multiple projects to deadlines;
- Effective management of people including performance enhancement
- Advanced facilitation skills;
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills;
- Culturally sensitive;